Pony Express

Filed under Opinion

My Pilot Pen Rescue

Back to Article
Back to Article

My Pilot Pen Rescue

It's getting penny.

It's getting penny.

It's getting penny.

It's getting penny.

This year was the year. I finally decided I was old enough to not lose pens. As I was shopping for school supplies with my mom, I spotted them, the Cadillacs of pens, the Pilot Precise V5. I hurried over, as fast as socially acceptable in Target, and grabbed the last package, but it was not just any package. It was the five color combo package. Blue, red, green, purple, and classic black, it was every color I would ever need. I could picture it. I would be writing an essay with my five dollar pens, ink flying left and right. Words I didn’t even know would be pouring out of my pen. The teacher wouldn’t even care if the essay was good, because the writing would look so beautiful; anything less than an one hundred would be blasphemy against the pens.

My future looked bright. But there was one thing I forgot, one small detail that has changed my whole year: my iPad. Because of my iPad, my pens have remained unopened, my fantasies unrealized. IPads have done to personal notes what the printing press did for mass publications – eliminated the need to write by hand.

There is an often forgotten industry that is anti- digitalization: pen manufactures. A responsible person will only buy pens when the ink runs out, which wouldn’t be often enough to keep manufactures afloat, so manufactures rely on the more forgetful ones of us to buy pens whenever they are lost. Now, even the irresponsible among us will not need to buy pens, for it is impossible to lose what is never used in the first place. What is to be done about this? Should we totally abandon all technology that uses text? By no means! Instead, I implore you to write, to doodle, to draw on your hands. Let your mind and hand wander. Get the awful ink stain on the side of your hand. Chew the end until it bursts in your mouth. Lose pens. Keep the pen manufactures in business one lost pen at a time.

1 Comment

One Response to “My Pilot Pen Rescue”

1. Mr. King (not the "other" Mr. King ;-) on September 30th, 2015 6:38 pm

Jimmy, eloquently spoken. But wait! Despair not!! You still have the backbone of every music student to rely on. No matter how many retina displays glow throughout our hallowed halls, there will still be the blue collar purveyor of graphite – the humble PENCIL! Whether mechanical or classic wood, all those who must mark a musical score for a fickle maestro, only to be told to put that breath in a different place, or switch notes that you were told to sing or play yesterday, without the pencil (and obligatory companion – the veritable Pancho Sanchez of scribes – the ERASER) the musician would be lost and unable to make the necessary adjustments to assure a successful performance. So make your choices of how many millimeters thick your lead will be, and what color the barrel of the instrument. Whether a thrifty plastic, or a fancy Zebra Metal Mechanical Masterpiece – and do what no iPad, Smart Phone or Laptop can – mark on the ancient scrolls of musical notation and Sing and Play on!!!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

How to Plan Your Picture Perfect (Graduation) Party

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

The Preds Did a Sweep

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

Lipscomb Boys’ Tennis: Dynasty

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

The Final Chapter of a Lipscomb Legacy

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

The Pony Express: Then and Now

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Showcase

Batter Up for Baseball

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Sports

Springing into Summer Break with Steeplechase

• A & E

Check out the Upcoming Events

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Opinion

18 year old becomes Ordained Minister: Curry’s Corner

• My Pilot Pen Rescue

Sports

Aaron Herandez Tragedy

The student news site of Lipscomb Academy
My Pilot Pen Rescue