The student news site of Lipscomb Academy

One-Acts 2015 Dazzled Spectators

September 28, 2015

`This year’s One-acts contained everything from gory death scenes to scenes where characters get whacked in the stomach with a baseball bat. Needless to say, the audience was enthralled by the performances given.

Mr. Wallace’s one-act, Time and Time, Again and Again, focuses on a lazy writer who was just dumped by his girlfriend. He is visited by his future self and descendants who come to convince him not to write a story that results in World War III. The thrilling story ends with an unexpected twist.

Mama Craig’s Theatre Arts I one-act tells a story about a girl who is trying to finish an essay with all the distractions the internet supplies. This clever one-act, The Internet is Distract…Oh Look at That Cute Kitty!, personifies social media, funny cat videos, and pop-up ads. This show ends happily and shows that sometimes people need to take a break from the internet to focus on important things in life.

The Audition, directed by Hayden Hall, is a “dramedy” about a group of students auditioning for a school play. From humorous scenes such as a dance-off between a student and stage manager, to tear-jerking scenes about a bullied student who just wants to be in this show, this one-act made the audience readily laugh and cry.

Anna Biggerstaff directed Gossip, a dramatic one-act about a new girl named Gossip at a school who everyone seems to like. She eventually separates friend groups, who in the end rally up against her. This one-act’s, deeper, not-so-hidden meaning is that gossip is malicious, and can come between friendships.

Last but not least, Matthew Smith and Lily McPherson co-directed Bad Ideas for Bad Television Shows. This cackle-inducing one-act consists of two NBC employees desperately searching for a show that people will watch. They host a contest where anyone can submit show ideas, and, needless to say, the submissions are quite entertaining.

SRO (Standing Room Only) had a huge success with this year’s one-acts. Every actor and director put so much effort into creating such a wonderful show. Be sure to come see the one-acts (or act in them) next year!