Friends from India Come to Lipscomb Academy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alex Vaughn, Writer

You may have noticed in the halls, visitors from India that traveled to Nashville, TN after the LA mission trip there during Thanksgiving break . We are excited they will be visiting with us for a period of ten days. Today, Pony Express had the pleasure to talk to Manmeet and Simran to get to know them better and to find out what it is like in India. Both Manmeet, age fifteen, and Simran, age seventeen, are sisters who are from Punjab, India.

Punjab is a city in India near a city we may be more familiar with, India’s capital, New Delhi. They describe Punjab as a very colorful city with very bright and vibrant colors textiles and buildings. If we visited them in India, the first attractions they said that they would take us to see would be the Taj Mahal and the Golden Temple.

Manmeet and Simran are both Hindu names. Manmeet means “love from the heart” and Simran means “remembrance” or “reminiscence.” In their free time, Manmeet likes to swim and Simran likes to play basketball.

Both Manmeet and Simran attend Doon International School in Mohali, India. Simran is in twelfth grade and Manmeet is in tenth. We asked them what it was like  to go to school there, and they said their school includes first through twelfth and consists of approximately thirteen hundred students with about twenty-five to thirty students per class, which is around the same size as Lipscomb Academy. They both appreciate their education very much but included that the teachers at their school are kind but strict. Manmeet’s favorite subject to study is history and Simran’s favorite class is either art or geography.

When asked about our country, they both said our country is a “very nice place to visit with very friendly and humble people.” Although they enjoy their visit to the United States, they will be excited to get back home to their family and friends that they miss.