Mattie Helms is Crowned This Year’s Homecoming Queen

Hannah Quinn, staff

The Lipscomb Academy student body has proudly selected Mattie Helms to serve as homecoming queen for the 2016-2017 school year. Mattie is the daughter of LuciAnn and Kevin Helms, has an older brother Bradley, and two sisters, Molly and Callie. She and her sisters have attended Lipscomb since sixth grade and attend Harpeth Hills Church of Christ. “I love Mattie because she has been such a loyal best friend to me and has always stuck by my side through everything,” says Phoebe Waller when asked why Mattie is the perfect choice to serve as this year’s queen. “She shows Jesus to me everyday and loves in a way that is inspiring to everyone around her. No one deserves this more than she does.”

Mattie is a cheerleader for the Mustangs and runs track. She has a gorgeous, memorable singing voice, which she showcased at this year’s talent show and in chorus her freshman, sophomore, and junior years. She’s an active member of the National Honor Society, and her favorite class of her high school career has been Algebra II. For the past 3 years, Mattie has participated in a summer mission trip to Honduras, and plans to visit again this coming summer.

Outside of school, Mattie enjoys watching TV with her family, going on runs, and baking chocolate chip cookies.