LA Mission Teams

Back to Article
Back to Article

LA Mission Teams

The DR mission team poses for a group pic in Río San Juan.

Bridgette Fly, Writer

A few weeks ago, over SB2k16, Lipscomb Academy embarked on three mission trips. We asked seniors Carl Mhlanga from the Baja trip , Haley Grizzell from the City of Children trip, and Alex Edgeworth from the DR trip to tell us how they went.

The Baja Mission Trip:

What did you do on the trip?

We basically helped the people anyways we could. We held vbs at the church, and did house visits with the people down there. We would visit some people that the preacher said needed a visit, and the people would basically talk about any problems they had. They would also talk about different family situations they had, at the end of the visits we would pray for them and sing songs to them. We also built a couple of houses this year.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part of the trip was renewing the relationships I made with the people last year. It was really awesome to know that they still remembered who I was. 

Where did you see God on the trip?

I saw God in the people down there. The people really made an impact on me because they were very much family oriented. Every time we would ask for Prayer requests they would always put other people before themselves. Even though these people really had nothing, they always had a smile on their faces. They were never worried about having material things like we do in the States. I also saw God in our team this year. We grew so much this year. It was really awesome to see the new people blend with the others this year. 

Would you encourage others to go on this trip?

I would definitely encourage people to go on the trip this year. 

The Trip to the City of Children:

What did you do on the mission trip?

We did the same thing throughout the whole week except every morning would be a little different. One day you would be on kitchen duty and would mainly be in the kitchen for the mornings and lunch, but if we finished fast we were able to play with the babies. Another morning would be a service project, which was sanding and painting wood. The last morning option was going to a kindergarden and a poorer city. At the kindergarden and city, we gave them food and prayed for them. After those morning, we would normally have lunch with a certain group of kids (younger girls, younger boys, teen girls, teen boys, and babies). When lunch was over, we would play a huge group activity (soccer, kickball, crab soccer, and played with a parachute). After the activity, we would go play at any of the dorms. We would then have dinner and VBS would soon follow. After VBS, we would play with all the kids one last time before we had a group devo and went to bed. On the last day, we went to Ensanda to receive souvenirs and had our last night with the children. Instead of VBS, we watched a picture slideshow and tucked them into bed.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part was going into the other city. While we were waiting to go to the smaller and less fortunate city, I met a little girl named Ericka. I could not speak Spanish to save my life, but we communicated by drawing pictures back and forth with a huge smile on her face.

Where did you see God on the trip?

I saw God in many ways. One of them was the beauty of Mexico. Another was every kid and family that could smile even though they had so little. My last instance was when we went into the less fortunate city and a woman had fallen. She could not walk, but before we left he got on one knee and held her hand while he prayed

I would most definitely encourage others to go to the City of Children whenever you have the chance.

The Dominican Republic trip:

What did you do on the mission trip?

We ran a VBS for the public school, hung out with high school kids, played with little kids, ate with nearby locals, shoveled cement to fill in potholes in the road, and explored Rio San Juan.

What was your favorite part?

My favorite part was when we sat in on high school classes and helped juniors with their English. It was really fun and we got to know the teenagers really well. 

Where did you see God on the trip?

While we were there, I heard a sermon about the differences between believers and followers. I was made aware of the differences between just believing and actually following God’s word. Also, just the incredible way that the younger kids looked up to the older kids.

Would you encourage others to go on this mission trip?

Yes. It was a special mission trip because it was based on more of them helping us than the other way around like most mission trips. 

So there you have it! Next year, sign up to go on one of these amazing trips where you will grow as a Christian by fellow-shipping and serving with others!