#43 In Presidents, But #1 In Our Hearts

Bush2k16
Back to Article
Back to Article

#43 In Presidents, But #1 In Our Hearts

Bush2k16

Bush2k16

Mitchell Despot

Bush2k16

Mitchell Despot

Mitchell Despot

Bush2k16

Former President and Commander-In-Chief George W. Bush visited Lipscomb’s campus on this year’s leap day. In addition to a few hundred university students who had contributed to one of three charities, just short of one hundred academy students were invited to attend the brief Q&A with our former president, affectionately known as “43.” No phones or note taking was permitted, seeing that security was strict.

President Bush proved to be very charismatic when answering the questions, even coming up with his own question when the interviewers declared that they were low on time. He even gave advice to all the young people in the audience: “Don’t be stupid.” As an afterthought, he said not to drink or do drugs either.

As expected, President Bush reflected on the tragedy of 9/11 and how his faith proved to be his anchor when undergoing all the stresses that come with being president. He discussed how when in office, he had to make many decisions that affect the lives of many U.S. citizens, so he had to be steadfast in his faith in God to help him make the right decisions and be confident in them.

When asked who the biggest mentor in his life was, President Bush responded with his father, “41.” Unfortunately, he can’t run for president again, but his brother Jeb Bush did this year and President Bush made lighthearted jokes about his brother dropping out.

In summary, President Bush, in his time with the students, exhibited charismatic, humorous, compassionate, and devout Christian behavior that every one of the students could be inspired by.