Best Buddies: Opportunity for Service Hours and Learning Credit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alex Vaughn, Writer

Are you going to be needing service hours or service learning credit next year? Best Buddies is a great way to meet the requirements for service hours and the service learning credit and to build new friendships.

Best Buddies is an international program created to work with others with intellectual and developmental disabilities to make them feel a part of the high school experience. 9th and 10th grade guidance counselor Betsy Thomas says, “Best Buddies was created for these students to feel like they are a part of the high school experience.” Best Buddies helps them form meaningful relationship, live independently, improve communication skills, and feel valued by society. Best Buddies holds a number of events including weekly social gatherings called “Fun Fridays,” pen pals, friendship fundraising walks, and an annual prom held at Bridgestone Arena.

Recently, sophomores Abby Everson, Maddie Lillicrap, Samson Zhang, Maddi Keaton, and Molly Zimmer attended Best Buddies prom at Bridgestone Arena where over 5,000 students from high schools and colleges from all over Middle Tennessee gathered. Sophomore Abby Everson says, “I had a really fun time! It was really inspiring to see all of the Best Buddies walk down the gold carpet proudly that night.”

If interested, please contact Ms. Betsy Thomas for more information.