Digital Turnin: Destructive or Divine?

Get+schooled+son.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Digital Turnin: Destructive or Divine?

Get schooled son.

Get schooled son.

Get schooled son.

Get schooled son.

Bridgette Fly, author

For the past few years teachers have been encouraged to implement technology in their classes, but this year it seems that classes have been totally overtaken by apps and websites and digital turnins. Ever since iPads and laptops became mandatory school supplies most teachers have used little else as resources. Textbooks and handouts can be found online and on Schoology. Books that students read in English classes can be bought as an ebook and downloaded straight to their iPad. On the plus side, the overworked students no longer have chronic back problems from the twenty pound backpacks they used to have to carry around. On the other side though, the ability to turn things in without having to actually be in class isn’t going over well.

Assignments are now due at midnight or at 7:45 the next day, and for the forgetful and procrastinating, this is a real problem. However, when asked how he feels about this, Keaton Sample shone light on the positive side. “I prefer it; it allows me to make final edits until I turn it in. I can work on it until literally the final second.”  Also, having to turn in assignments on Schoology and Turnitin prepares students for college. Online assignments don’t only help students but teachers too. Mrs. Burton says the English teachers love Turnitin because all their papers are in one place to be graded. Also, the site can detect if a paper is plagiarized, making it easier for teachers to call students out. It’s more than just convenient; it helps keep students and teachers alike accountable.

Senior Riley Raff disagrees. He says: “I don’t like the online turn in because I don’t fully trust technology. Anything could go wrong.” And he’s right! Everyone has experienced that heart wrenching moment when the tab closed unexpectedly, or the iPad dies half way through writing that research paper. The horror is amplified when the student remembers that it isn’t due by fifth period English the next day, but by midnight. Everyone has also felt the despair as their printer gives them the horrific “Ink cartridges are low” message. So, is giving up paper really the worse thing when it comes to school assignments? Right now the student body seems to to be split on that hot topic.