20 Books That Will Make You Fall In Love With Reading

Back to Article
Back to Article

Can you feel the love tonight?

Can you feel the love tonight?

Can you feel the love tonight?

Can you feel the love tonight?

Bridgette Fly, Writer

Before I even get started, let me say this. I know that it is almost Christmas break and “break” means no work. But trust me, it is possible for reading  to involve no hard work. None. Nada. Zip. All you have to do is find the right book. Now that can take a little work.

But have no fear! That’s what I’m here for. Whether you like stories about sword fights and castles, magic mixed with reality, or just normal life, my book list has got you covered. These reads will bring you to tears and make you laugh until your sides hurt, even if you aren’t really a reader.

If you like high-fantasy books/movies like Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and The Hobbit, try:

1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas  (Medieval Hunger Games+assassins)

2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer  (Fairy tales that take place in the future)

3. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline  (A million dollar treasure hunt for retro video game lovers)

4. The Coldest Girl in Coldtown by Holly Black  (Vampires take over reality TV-and none of them sparkle)

5.  A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray  (A revenge mission through alternative universes)

If you like fantasy books/movies mixed with reality like Percy Jackson, and Harry Potter try:

1.  The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare  (Demon hunters in New York try to save the world)

2. Hourglass by Myra McEntire  (College kids with powers over time try to fix the past)

3. The Selection by Kiera Cass  (Basically The Bachelor, except the bachelor’s a prince)

4. Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins  (Homecoming queen becomes a magical warrior and has to guard her arch nemesis)

5. Ruby Red by Kiersten Gier (Girl finds out she carries a time traveling gene and has to choose between destroying the world or saving it)

If you like cute, contemporary books/movies that will make you laugh like The DUFF, Mean Girls and 10 Things I Hate About You:

1. Open Road Summer by Emery Lord  (Have you ever wanted to know what it would be like to tour with Taylor Swift and date a country singer like Hunter Hayes? Well, now you can)

2. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith (Being stuck on a 12 hour flight next to a cute British guy has it’s perks)

3. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell  (Something every geek must figure out in life: when is it time to grow up and start living in the real world?)

4. Heist Society by Ally Carter  (A family of con artists have to steal one of the world’s most protected paintings to save one of their own)

5.  Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson (What do you do when your best friend disappears? Follow the bucket list she leaves behind)

If you like heartfelt books/movies that make you cry and feel like The Fault in Our Stars and The Perks of Being a Wallflower try:

1. Panic by Lauren Oliver  (Graduating high school means a chance to win $30,000. If you can complete 3 tasks without dying first)

2. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher   (A suicide note in the form of 7 cassette tapes makes one boy rethink everything about high school)

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (Now I know that freshmen are now required to read this, but if you haven’t, please read it. It’s beautiful)

4. If I Stay by Gail Forman  (After a car crash takes her whole family, a girl in a coma must decide if she will fight to live, or just let go)

5. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver  (A girl dies in a car accident…and then keeps living the same day over and over until she figures out what she has to make right)