Welcome To The New Job Crisis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Welcome To The New Job Crisis

Phillip working to eat more chicken.

Phillip working to eat more chicken.

Phillip Ndowu

Phillip working to eat more chicken.

Phillip Ndowu

Phillip Ndowu

Phillip working to eat more chicken.

Olivia Baltz

Have you ever thought about getting a job but decided not to because school is overwhelming on it’s own, never mind coupling it with a job and all the stress that comes with it? In a recent poll conducted on our student body, more students than expected are working part-time jobs and balancing the everyday struggle of school. Even though this doesn’t affect all of the students, it does make it harder for others to maintain adequate grades.  I understand that some students start work at 4 p.m. or 5 p.m. and don’t get off until 8 p.m. or 9 p.m.; some students even get off as late as midnight. As these students watch their pay checks go up, their grades go down, and feel helpless to change this.

Colleges ask students if they have much job experience and my response is how can we work while balancing school, chores, getting service hours, completing my requirements for graduation, sports, and everything in between. Kids are expected to do all of these things and still have time left over when in reality it’s not possible. I think schools should have programs that help out students who are struggling to keep up with everything and have a job. I understand that students choose to have these jobs but most of them have to pay for their own gas or car insurance and the only way to do that it is to get a job.

It is becoming a vicious cycle that today’s teens are stuck in, and if schools can do something to help then, they should. A program should be implemented that allows working students leniency toward turn in dates or with certain assignments like long papers and big projects.

A person can only do so much!