Pony Express

Mustangs Tackle Maplewood, On To The Next One

Back to Article
Back to Article

David Floyd, Guest Writer

The Mustangs beat Maplewood 14-7 at home last Saturday, and this is what senior David Floyd had to say about it, “Well, here we are in the playoffs. What a season we’ve had so far. The support of the football team by the entire student body has been incredible so far and is much appreciated. Last Friday we were fortunate to come out with a big win over a very athletic team, Maplewood. We came out swinging and hit ‘em right in the mouth. David King pulled a classic move and played despite hurting his ankle during the game. Jake Stafford got his first start at linebacker and did well despite getting a boo-boo and having to sit the last bit of the game out. Turner Forcht and John Matt Merritt both had touchdowns. (Turner Forcht has saved the Stangz on several occasions this year. The guy is legendary. This is his first year to play varsity football and he runs the ball, catches the ball, tackles the guy with the ball, punts the ball, executes fake punts, and he even tows our trucks if they break down at the field.) All that matters now is that we are guaranteed one more game.

Our team is stacked with some guys that have a lot of heart. We will keep fighting till we can fight no more. Now, let’s give a quick shout out to our injured boys: -JT Paul- guy broke his hand in like 5 places and he somehow finished the game and helped us beat Spring Hill, -Stephen Wigger- one of the original hogs that suffered a terrible leg injury that ended his athletic career and God Bless his soul as he prepares for another surgery, -Carl Mhlanga- tore up his knee early in the season after being one of our most talented players and now works to coach up the other backs, -Andrew Farrell- messed up his knee in practice and hurt our depth at running back, but hopefully he will be back for basketball season, -Tate Mascolo and Sam Buffler- these boys messed up their shoulders, but they are spitting major game with the ladies and will be back next year.
​Now, we have a huge game against Pearl Cohn this Friday. Playoffs come with a lot of excitement and nervousness. Now, don’t get nervousness confused with fear, because we respect all but fear none. Every week in the playoffs, one team will go home for the year and one will get to move on. For that team that has to go home, the seniors on that team will most likely never have the chance to put on the pads and play another game of football. It is a moment that will come for all teams, whether they win state or get knocked out in the playoffs. Your Stangz are putting in work and giving it our all to keep our season alive. It hasn’t been pretty all the time, but man has it been fun. I, along with all of our seniors, will never forget such a season. To conclude, I want to see all y’all at the game at Pearl Cohn this Friday cheering your boys on. It isn’t to far away, the weather will be nice, the Pearl Cohn band will be hype, the student section will be super hype, I hear the fish sandwiches at Pearl Cohn are fantastic.”