Pony Express

Perry’s Left-Handed Plight

More stories from Kayla Perry

That+spiral.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Perry’s Left-Handed Plight

That spiral.

That spiral.

Kayla Perry

That spiral.

Kayla Perry

Kayla Perry

That spiral.

“Wow, you’re left-handed? I didn’t know that!”

15 in every 100 people are left-handed; Left hand dominance, quite frankly, is not a rarity. We are not  Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombats (there’s only 115 of those oddly kinda cute creatures left). Unfortunately, while we lefties (especially us girl lefties) are slightly more uncommon than all the righties out there, the inconveniences outweigh the so-called “cool” factor of being left-handed.

Spiral notebooks. I don’t even want to talk about them, but I’ll illustrate the overly bothersome characteristics of these notebooks straight from the same place Chinese water torture originates (probably) so that you righties out there are more aware of this constant struggle.

Imagine trying to scribe in the seemingly practical contraptions, with their easy-to-remove pages and flexibility, only to have a twirling wire burrowing into your innocent left hand. The hand didn’t deserve that! It guilelessly wanted to write flowery sonnets or doodle song lyrics. Spiral notebooks: 0/10.

Left-handers, who want to write in their lifetime, have to deal with two problems associated with writing in this way: smudging resulting in illegible script and the dreaded black mark on the outside of each hand, resulting from having to drag the writing hand over what is already written.

When we lefties write, our hand is on the left of the pencil, so it presses against already written words as we write left to right. This results in both the pencil lead rubbing off on the side of the left hand and the lead smearing all across the page. After the WRAP, freshman and sophomore year, most of my hand was the silvery color of pencil lead. Writing on paper is struggle enough; just try to ponder about writing on whiteboards.

In true commercial fashion, “but wait, there’s more!” Not only are writing instruments corrupt, oh no, but every day tools are too. A usual desk, with the exceptions of left-handed desks, supports the arm doing the writing, but not for lefties.

The armrest is on the right side of the desks, so the left arm is left to dangle. Apparently the smudged handwriting wasn’t already messy enough.

I’m not entirely sure how to explain the struggle with scissors, but just know that they are very painful and frustrating.

Sure, being left-handed can be great sometimes. I get to select the “left-handed” option on select Buzzfeed quizzes, and I get to complain about all the problems with being a lefty. However, the downsides (such as having an average lifespan 9 years shorter than righties) may just be too much of a battle sometimes. Perhaps I should write about being left-handed sometime.