The student news site of Lipscomb Academy

Pony Express

The Final Chapter of a Lipscomb Legacy

Hannah Quinn, Writer

If it weren’t for Lipscomb, or as it was known at the time, David Lipscomb High School, neither me nor my 2 older brothers would exist. My parents’ relationship and eventual marriage is based on a foundation built in the same hallways I walk through every day. But the whole story goes back much further, all the way to the 1950’s.

My maternal grandparents were both farm kids. Nana was one of ten children, and Pop was one of six. On their wedding day they were 16 and 20 years old, respectively, and my grandmother wore a simple pantsuit rather and slender gold band rather than an extravagant white dress and a diamond engagement ring. Pop took a job as a bus driver downtown, and almost every day he’d transport students from Lipscomb to and from school. After interacting with them and seeing how much they loved the Lord, my grandfather became determined to make enough of a living for his three daughters to attend Lipscomb as well.

My mom started attending Lipscomb in the third grade, and remained there all the way through the twelfth grade. She met my dad when she was a senior in high school and he was a junior, and seven years later, they were engaged. My mom went on to become a professor at Lipscomb University shortly after I was born, and both me and my older brothers have gone to school here since the fifth grade. Andrew and Matthew both played under Coach Mac on the football team, and for the first eleven years of my life I spent every Friday night on the sidelines of a game. I was even lucky enough to see my brothers play side by side and lead Lipscomb to a state championship in 2007.

My immediate family weren’t the only ones to carry on the Lipscomb tradition. All five of my cousins on both sides of my family went to school here, and it’s a little mind boggling to see their senior pictures hanging in the halls, along with my parents’, brothers’, aunts’, and uncles’. I already had an in with many of my teachers here throughout the years because they had fond memories of my brothers, and a few of them even taught my parents back in the day, over 30 years ago. My parents and aunts even dated the family members of some of my current classmates.

I’m youngest child on both sides of my family, so there’s a pretty high likelihood I’ll be the last one of us to wear a Lipscomb cap and gown. My cousins have babies of their own now, but all of them are years away from attending school and most of them live too far away for Lipscomb to be a viable option when their kids do start kindergarten. Regardless of what the future holds, my family and I will remain forever indebted to Lipscomb and the people here, because without them, my family wouldn’t be what it is today.